For a stress-free, fully immersive experience, you couldn’t go better than a river cruise. We’ve put together a list of our favourite reasons to consider a river cruise, and our favourite cruises themselves. You can also see our deals here.
Why take a river cruise?
Explore in comfort and style
River cruises are one of the most comfortable ways to travel. It’s like your own personal floating hotel – well-appointed rooms, bars and restaurants are all aboard.
Slow down and enjoy the view
You won’t get anywhere in a hurry on a river cruise – but that’s one of our favourite things about them. It’s a chance to escape the hustle and bustle of the daily grind, to really slow down the pace of life, enjoy the scenery and spend quality time together.
No stress! On a river cruise the route is planned and the stops & excursions are often planned too. So you don’t to worry about where to go or what to do, all those decisions are made by people who know the area well.
The carefully planned itinerary of a river cruise company is the ideal way to see more of a region, gently winding through rolling landscapes and beautiful cities. And, really taking the time to soak it up.
Casual, yet intimate
River cruises are a more relaxed, small-scale alternative to a cruise ship which doesn’t suit every traveller. On a river cruise, you can really get to know your fellow travellers, the staff and the places you’re visiting.
Our Top River Cruises
This is one of Europe’s most beautiful waterways, famed for its stunning landscapes from vineyards to villages.
The Rhone makes its way from the Swiss Alps to the Mediterranean Sea and takes in some spectacular scenery along the way. It’s also an amazing way to visit historic cities like Lyon.
- Tap into your inner Van Gogh at an Arles painting class
- Visit Lyon’s Musée des Beaux-Arts, one of the best fine arts museums in France
- Enjoy wine tasting on the many vineyards
- See the charming riverside village of Viviers
- Step into history in the Roman arena of Arles
The Douro River charts its winding course through the stunning landscapes of the Iberian Peninsula. From the North of Spain to Portugal’s Atlantic coast, this river offers an amazing cruise experience.
See the charms of Lisbon and the historic city of Salamanca. You also have the option of adding extra nights in Porto and Madrid, to truly make the most of your trip.
- Visit the quaint town of Pinhao with its wonderful vineyard regions
- Experience Lisbon, visit beautiful galleries and restaurants
- Explore ancient churches and monuments in Porto
- Visit the Douro Valley and do some wine tasting
- See the famous university in Salamanca
- Visit the fortified Portuguese village of Castelo Rodrigo
The Danube stretches for nearly 1,800 miles from Bavaria to the Romanian coast. This one river journeys through 10 countries and 5 capital cities, meaning there’s a wider range of itineraries to choose from and something to suit every traveller.
- Visit some of Europe’s most beautiful countries: Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Germany, Hungary, Moldova, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia and the Ukraine.
- See iconic cities like Vienna and Budapest – hubs of culture and history for centuries
The Rhine flows from the Alps through Switzerland, France, Germany and the Netherlands. This river has been called the heart of Europe and it’s easy to see why, as the Rhine does take in so many of the continent’s most beautiful landscapes and cities.
- Visit historic Cologne in Germany
- See the museums and canals of Amsterdam
- Wander around stunning Strasbourg
- Sample Germany’s finest wines in the heart of its wine region
And why not consider the magical Mekong? Its flow begins in the heights of the Tibetan plateau and makes its way through Vietnam, China, Myanmar, Laos, Thailand and Cambodia. It’s a spectacular 3,000 miles long and offers so much to see and do on a river cruise.
- Enjoy a unique shopping experience in Hanoi’s Old Markets.
- Experience the haunting beauty of Ta Prohm in Cambodia, where jungle vines embrace ancient ruins.
- Ride a rickshaw in Phnom Penh
- See the amazing Angkor Wat
Dreaming of a tranquil river cruise? See our site to learn more, view offers and request quotes. We’ll help you search & book so you can be gently winding downriver before you know it.
This blog is powered by Cassidy Travel, one of Ireland’s leading travel agencies. Our team of over 100 expert travel advisors send 1000s of Irish holidaymakers around the world every year. And we love doing it! Visit our website to start planning your next getaway. If you’re Dublin-based, drop into one of our stores. With 33 years of experience we’ve mastered the art of easy booking. Whether it’s a city escape, US adventure or family holiday we’d love to help you plan, book and dream.