With so many destinations in Europe and around the world to choose from, planning that much-deserved family getaway can be overwhelming. Banish the family holiday confusion with this popular destination guide by our travel experts.
Time for family fun!
There are so many ingredients that add up to the perfect family holiday. You need to consider hotels, resorts, activities, food, kids – it’s a lot! Once you get there you’ve really earned the chance to relax and unwind together.
The first step is figuring out which destination to visit – one that has something for all the family. To help you make that big decision, our travel experts have listed some of the most popular destinations, and what they’re great for!
Your family holidays in 2019 start now.
Bucket & Spade (2-3 hr flights)
One of our top sellers for summer holidays, families just love the Algarve. Its range of resorts and hotels have family getaways down to a tee, with amazing kids clubs and so much more – there’s often so much onsite that you’ll barely need to leave your resort. The ultimate in relaxation!
This region of Portugal is famed for its safe, family-friendly beaches great for kids to splash around in. As well as this, you’ll find tons of enchanting old-world charm. Visit Faro for its ancient Roman and Moorish heritage with tons of modern family-friendly stuff too. Relax on the golden beaches of Albufeira with its awesome resorts and hotels, as well as its great entertainment scene with a range of parks & tours to keep kids of all ages happy!
It’s just a short flight from Dublin to the Algarve, which makes it a great destination for families with small kids.
Things to do in the Algarve:
- Chill out for the day in a charming beachside village like Carvoeiro
- Have fun in a bustling resort
- Explore the spectacular Benagil Cave
- Gorge yourself on some spectacular Portuguese cuisine
- Kick it in fun theme & water parks!
Low Deposit from €150pp available.
Costa del sol
1000s of Irish families flock to the sunny shores of the Costa del Sol each year.
This glittering coast features countless bustling resorts, quaint little towns and plenty of stunning, child-safe beaches. That’s what makes it one of Spain’s prime destinations for family sun holidays. The Costa del Sol is jam-packed full of family attractions – most resorts have excellent kids clubs and other facilities for families. You can spend your whole holiday in comfort right in your resort. It takes about 3 hours to fly from Dublin. That means no jet-lag and more time to make memories together.
Things to do in the Costa del Sol:
- Go on a jeep safari in the National Park
- Visit Kidz Kingdom or one of the numerous other kids’ park
- Take the kids to one of many great playgrounds
- Visit the incredible Tivoli World Park
- Enjoy the authentic local Spanish fare
- Lounge by the seaside on a nearby beach
Low Deposit from €150pp available.
Majorca is a child-friendly mainstay famed for its spectacular white sands and sapphire-blue waters. This is an island paradise with tons of authentic charm and that celebrated welcoming Spanish culture.
There’s a wide range of resorts, villas and hotels scattered across the island with something to suit all families. Most will offer great prices and deals if you’re on the hunt for a cheap family holiday in the sun.
Lounge by the seaside, or visit the parks and historical sites and enjoy the fantastic cuisine! There’s so much to see and do here.
Things to do in Majorca:
- Explore the ancient city walls and Gothic cathedral in the city of Palma
- Visit the stunning national parks and untouched heartlands
- Go to an adventure park, play some crazy golf or go karting
- Soak up the authentic charm of the island’s small villages
- Explore the island with a boat trip
Low Deposit from €150pp available.
First Theme Park
There’s no denying the magic and wonder of this world-renowned destination. With just a short flight from Dublin and a wide range of family hotels just a stone’s throw from the main attractions, Disneyland Paris has been a family holiday fave for generations.
It’s a great destination all year round with a jam-packed calendar of seasonal events and celebrations. Summertime is particularly popular as there’s nothing better than exploring the enchanting park in the pleasant French summer sun.
Shop til you drop at Disney Village, ride the thrilling Space Mountain, take in the spectacular Disney Illuminations show or one of the spellbinding events in front of the Sleeping Beauty Castle.
Things to do in Disneyland Paris:
- Wander the fantastical maze of Alice’s Curious Labyrinth
- Set sail on the ‘it’s a small world’ boat ride
- Enjoy great food at the famous Cafe Mickey or Planet Hollywood
- Collect autographs from your favourite Disney princesses
Low Deposits from €100pp available.
PortAventura (Salou) (deposits €150pp)
PortAventura is a much-loved park full of exhilarating rides offering thrills for all ages. It’s a must-see for all visitors to Salou – the park can be found just a short trip from the port city of Tarragona, one of Salou’s top family hotspots. Salou itself is a much-loved resort destination with so much to see and do for all the family.
This blockbuster park is truly epic in scope. It’s on a par with more well-known parks like Disneyland and it takes a few days to truly experience all it has to offer. PortAventura boasts great accommodation, activities, roller coasters and more.
The park has earned a reputation as the must-see for family fun and a key activity for anyone who’s taking a trip to Salou. Take in its rides, or its entertaining shows great for all ages.
In short, PortAventura’s an unmissable trip for all the family!
Things to do in PortAventura:
- Experience the thrills of the Himalayan-themed Shambala roller coaster
- Splash around the Caribe Aquatic Park
- Brave the Red Force, Europe’s highest roller coaster
- Enjoy the range of cuisine, shopping and entertainment
Great for Teens
Tenerife is well-known for its beautiful shores and its perfect climate all year around. The island offers plenty of activities for everyone. Our expert travel advisors recommend it for families with teens.
Things to do in Tenerife :
- Have a look at the Loro Parque, a zoo on the outskirts of Crossport
- Visit Playa de las Vistas, a huge sandy beach great for family fun
- Get pulses racing with high-octane water sports
- Enjoy Costa Martinez, an open-air swimming pool located in Puerto de la Cruz
- Have a fun day in the Oasis Los Gigantes water and amusements park
With both golden and black sand beaches, vibrant nightlife, stunning volcanic and al fresco seafood dining, you’ll be spoilt for choice with things to do in Lanzarote. Lanzarote offers holidays markers year-round sunshine and its unique landscape offers has plenty to do for families with older children.
Things to do in Lanzarote :
- Head to the Timanfaya National Park for a fun camel ride around the wild, volcanic landscape
- Visit the Montanas del Fuego
- Have some fun in the Aquapark Costa Teguise
- Have a wander around the Jardin de Cactus
Ancient history, sunny weather and welcoming people – Greece is an enchanting blend of the historical and the modern. This destination offers all the mod cons and a chance to enjoy the unspoilt Mediterranean life at the same time. While smaller children may not love wandering around the ancient ruins, it’s a great activity to expand the horizons of older kids and teens.
Plenty of affordable accommodation can be found for the price-conscious holiday maker, as well as a smorgasbord of incredible food options. Choose Greece for its quiet beaches, its range of family-friendly activities and its stunning islands.
Things to do in Greece:
- Staying near Athens? Take a day trip to the blissful island of Hydra
- Step into the ancient past at the Acropolis and Parthenon
- See the culture, quaint towns and crystal waters of the Saronic islands
Holidays of a lifetime
Cancun can sometimes get a reputation as a party paradise but it’s actually a great destination for family holidays too. There are a range of family-friendly resorts, activities and beaches for kids, teens and all the family.
This is a great destination for everything from relaxing in the sun, indulging in luxury, enjoying a range of watersports activities and more.
Things to see in Cancun:
- Take a snorkeling tour of amazing underwater reefs and shipwrecks
- Visit the captivating Tulum Ruins and the spectacular Chichen Itza
- Have fun on the Jolly Roger Pirate Show
- Go spelunking in the unforgettable Crystal Caves
Orlando is truly the trip of a lifetime. Its theme parks are world famous for their attractions, rides, and all the amazing opportunities to make new memories that they offer.
Orlando boasts 233 sunny days a year, great sports, world class spas and more. It’s been named the no. 1 most visited city in the US. Kids, and kids at heart, will simply love it.
Choose between Disney and Universal – or do both! Meet your favourite characters, dive into the movie magic and so much more.
Things to do in Orlando:
- Try a day trip to the Kennedy Space Centre
- Enjoy the endless attractions of Universal Orlando and Disneyland parks
- Take to the skies with an Orlando Sunrise Hot-Air Balloon Ride
- Take a Crystal River tour with everglades air boat ride and optional manatee adventures
Dubai is an oasis of fun in the desert. It’s full of glitz, good times and cosmopolitan buzz. And best of all, its family attractions are second to none. The city is jam-packed with theme parks, water parks, camel rides, safaris, aquariums, museums, amusements like Ferrari World – and the ice cream’s pretty good too!
Dubai is more than a playground of 5-star hotels and mega malls – although it does offer world-class shopping – but also has a thriving arts, design and culture scene, a wide range of amazing cuisine and plenty to do for the kids.
There’s never a dull moment in Dubai!
Things to do in Dubai :
- Visit LegoLand, great to go with kids
- Go to the IMG Worlds of Adventure, one of Dubai’s newest and most exciting theme parks
- Visit Kite Beach with its outdoor trampoline, and adventure gym and a play area for the little ones
- See the green planet, a spectacular enclosed ecosystem recreating a tropical rain forest with more than 3000 plants and animals
Thinking of booking your next family holiday? Check out the Cassidy Travel website for great deals on flights and hotels, or call us on 0818-332500 for expert travel advice!
About Cassidy Travel
This blog is powered by Cassidy Travel, one of Ireland’s leading travel agencies. Our team of over 100 expert travel advisors sends 1000s of Irish holidaymakers around the world every year. And we love doing it! Visit our website to start planning your next getaway. If you’re Dublin-based, drop into one of our stores. With 33 years of experience we’ve mastered the art of easy booking. Whether it’s a city escape, US adventure or family holiday we’d love to help you plan, book and dream.