There are so many truly iconic city destinations that deserve pride of place on anyone’s bucket list. We’ve put together a handy list of incredible city break destinations that you simply have to see.
Here in Ireland we’re lucky to be so close to some of the world’s greatest cities. From the sweeping ancient history of Rome to the chic promenades of Paris, these urban escape have to be experienced at least once in a lifetime.
It’s not hard to find great deals on flights and hotels – especially when you book with us – and thanks to the short flight times to most of these destinations, they’re perfect for a spontaneous getaway. Whether it’s a romantic weekend, solo exploration, a group of friends or a family trip there’s so much variety on offer with these city destination that you’re sure to find something to suit.
We’ve picked out what we think are the top city destinations you have to see at least once.
Don’t forget to check out our deals right here.
Prague is one of Europe’s most popular city break destinations. Home to the world’s largest castle complex, the spectacular Prague Castle, the city is known as the City of 100 Spires. Its unique mix of atmospheric streets, cultural highlights and Gothic flourishes makes Prague a truly unforgettable sight.
Top Things to do in Prague
- Soak up the views from Charles Bridge
- Explore the splendour of Prague Castle
- Amble down the cobbled streets of Mala Strana
- Visit Old Town Square and charming Havel Market
Step into ancient history with a visit to Rome. This city bears the mark of its 3000 years of history, yet it’s also a modern metropolis filled with contemporary sights and modern cuisine alongside the ruins of civilizations long passed. Rome has been a global centre of power, culture and religion for millennia, so it’s no wonder that it is now such a beloved holiday destination and a true highlight for any bucket list.
Top Things to do in Rome
- Visit the Vatican City
- See the unforgettable Colosseum
- Climb the Spanish Steps
- Wander around the Roman Forum & mystical Palatine Hill
- Witness the grandeur of the Sistine Chapel
There is so much fascinating history to unpack in beautiful Budapest, as well as loads of contemporary attractions like the food, the nightlife and the entertainment scene. Swathes of the city have been designated a UNESCO World Heritage site, it really is one of Europe’s most beautiful cities.
Top Things to do in Budapest
- Check out the impressive Parliament Building
- Enjoy all City Park has to offer – sports, swimming, boating and the zoo
- See the panoramic city views from Fisherman’s Bastion
- Visit spectacular Heroes’ Square & St. Stephen’s Basilica
Chic Paris is one of the most, if not the most, visited places in the world. Its charming streets are global shorthand for style, cuisine and culture. So it really is one of those places you just have to see at least once.
Top Things to do in Paris
- See all the iconic sights: the Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe, the Louvre, the Champs-Elysees and more
- Visit charming historic bookshop Shakespeare and Company
- Take in the views from the bridge of Pont Neuf
- Visit majestic Versailles
A fairy-tale destination and one of Spain’s top holiday hotspots. Barcelona has so much to offer anyone looking for a fun city break, from great nightlife, to amazing history, to sandy beaches and great weather.
Top Things to do in Barcelona
- Visit La Barceloneta Beach
- Soak up quirky artistic heritage at the Salvador Dali Museum
- Feast your eyes on the Sagrada Familia
- Indulge in the local cuisine – how about some authentic paella?
Istanbul unites two continents in a captivating blend of European and Eastern influence, it really is like nowhere else on earth and that’s why it deserves a place on your bucket list of cities to visit.
Top Things to in Istanbul
- Visit the spectacular mosque-turned-museum, Hagia Sophia
- Explore the Grand Bazaar for a unique shopping experience
- Take in the views from the top of the Galata Tower
- See the world famous Blue Mosque
- Walk down Istiklal Avenue, the heart of the city
Planning to cross a city break off your list? Browse our online offers to get a great deal on your holiday. We’ve got great prices on flights and we’d love to help you to plan your city break today.
This blog is powered by Cassidy Travel, one of Ireland’s leading travel agencies. Our team of over 100 expert travel advisors send 1000s of Irish holidaymakers around the world every year. And we love doing it! Visit our website to start planning your next getaway. If you’re Dublin-based, drop into one of our stores. With 33 years of experience we’ve mastered the art of easy booking. Whether it’s a city escape, US adventure or family holiday we’d love to help you plan, book and dream.