Our experts have compiled a handy guide to Tenerife – planning doesn’t have to be complicated!
Tenerife is a firm favourite among Irish holiday makers, with 1000s of families, groups, couples and solo adventurers choosing this destination every year. It’s easy to see why.
Tenerife holidays are flexible, family-friendly and just a 4-hour flight from Ireland. It’s great for summer heat and winter sun. Its beaches are beautiful and safe and there’s so much to see and do.
When to go to Tenerife
What’s the best time to go to Tenerife? One of the island’s main draws for Irish holidaymakers is its weather as you’re (almost) guaranteed sunshine no matter the time of year. Its warm climate means it feels like spring or summer most of the year.
- Spring: warm weather, pleasant sun and perfect for days on the beach.
- Summer: expect hotter weather during summer, tempered by a nice sea breeze. This is a popular time for tourists, with lots of people travelling during August.
- Autumn: the summer heat starts to cool, making this a pleasant time to visit. This time of year, there are fewer families making the island less busy
- Winter: Tenerife is a real winter sun destination. The weather is still warm and comfortable this time of year although you’re most likely to get rain in winter.
Tenerife has 2 high seasons: Summer (especially July & August) and Winter. During summer, prices of flights and resorts shoot up but there are still good deals to be found. This is a particular popular time of year for family holidays to Tenerife. Winter is similar but a bit slower paced with a more chilled-out and less family-focused vibe.
How to get there
Tenerife holidays are popular largely because of their convenience. The Canary Islands are only a 4 hour flight from Dublin Airport, and other Irish airports.
Flights are more expensive during the high seasons, as you’d expect. However, travelling on less in-demand days of the week and times of day can help you to get the best deal. So there are still some more affordable deals on holidays to Tenerife to be found.
Tenerife is filled with family-friendly resorts and hotels. Most will have Kids Clubs and kid-friendly facilities on site.
Groups, Couples, and solo travellers will also find options to suit them, with many places to stay in Tenerife being close to the night life centres and major attractions like Playa de las Américas.
Food & Eating Out
Dining out in Tenerife offers a captivating blend of Spanish flavours, African influences, local quirks, and international dining.
On this Atlantic island, fresh seafood abounds:
- Chopitos, small bites of fried cuttlefish
- Cazuela de Pescado – a delicious fish casserole
- Churros de Pescado – fish served tapas-style
Speaking of tapas, you’ll find plenty of that scattered across the island. It’s a perennial Spanish favourite. You’ll find plenty of dishes like paella, tortilla, gazpacho and other menu mainstays.
For families with fussy eaters you’ll find plenty of the usual international brands here, and loads of family-friendly options.
Things to do in Tenerife
Tenerife’s untamed volcanic landscape sets it apart from other parts of Spain. It’s strikingly different from anywhere else.
- Teide National Park: the crown jewel of Tenerife’s natural beauty, Teide is a UNESCO World Heritage site. This national park has 2 volcanoes and amazing walks. Why not explore on the back of a camel?
- Los Gigantes Cliffs: these impressive cliffs over look the sea and over incredible vitas of the island. A must-see for nature lovers.
- Barranco del Infierno: this gorge can be found in the Adeje region, its waterfall and landscapes are a stunning natural sight.
- Masca Valley: an awe-inspiring day-trip destination. Many tour operators go to the top of the valley every day to visit this village and take in its spectacular green views.
Tenerife is famous for its beaches, from its white sand coastlines to its striking black beaches. It’s hard to know where to start. Rest assured that no matter where to stay, there’s sure to be a great beach nearby.
Many of them are Blue Flag beaches, safe for kids to splash around in and great for a lazy day of lounging in the sun.
Playa de las Américas is known as the heart of the nightlife in Tenerife but the island has a lot more to offer than that one slightly infamous strip.
La Laguna has plenty of eclectic bars and live music, largely thanks to the student population centred here.
Tenerife has many museums with affordable or free entry. Its charming towns are great to wander through, letting you soak up the heritage of the island at your own leisure.
There’s also a busy calendar of festivals and cultural events like the massive celebration of Carnival.
Family holidays to Tenerife are a great way to make memories. As well as its plethora of beaches and family-friendly facilities, you can to some of its amazing water parks, theme parks, and zoos.
- Siam Park – a Thai-themed extravaganza of rides
- Aqualand Costa Adeje – perfect for a day of splashing around!
- Loro Park – full of botanical gardens and amazing animal attractions
- Money Park – meet our primate cousins in this fun zoo
- Camel Park – get up close with these animals and go for a camel ride!
Tenerife on a budget
If you’re trying to get costs down during your trip Tenerife has a range of options.
First, get the best deal on cheap holidays to Tenerife.
On the ground, watch out for restaurants serving a ‘menu del día’ – these daily specials are often sold for a lower price and can be found in most traditional restaurants.
There are also plenty of things to see and do with free or low-cost entry:
- Teide National Park
- La Orotava (A well-preserved historical town)
- Hijuela del Botánico gardens
- The History and Anthropology Museum has free entry for set times
- See the 1000 year old Drago tree
- And don’t forget to visit a volcano while you’re here!
Thinking of booking your next holiday to Tenerife? Check out the Cassidy Travel website for great deals on flights and hotels, or call us on 0818-332500 for expert travel advice!
About Cassidy Travel
This blog is powered by Cassidy Travel, one of Ireland’s leading travel agencies. Our team of over 100 expert travel advisors sends 1000s of Irish holidaymakers around the world every year. And we love doing it! Visit our websiteto start planning your next getaway. If you’re Dublin-based, drop into one of our stores. With 33 years of experience we’ve mastered the art of easy booking. Whether it’s a city escape, US adventure or family holiday we’d love to help you plan, book and dream.