The US! So many thousands of us have ventured here over the years and we just keep coming. A lot of us Irish holidaymakers have family here or we just love to explore its shores and cities. See our breakdown of fave places to visit, and while you’re here check out our travel deals on holidays to America.
Thinking of paying a visit to the US but not sure where to go? We’ve broken down some of our most popular US destinations right here.
Orlando has a well-deserved reputation as the world capital of family entertainment. It’s home to two of the most well-known theme parks, Universal Orlando and Walt Disney World Orlando.
Both Universal Orlando and Walt Disney World are home to multiple distinct theme parks – 3 for Universal and 6 for Disney. For a full breakdown, see our ultimate Orlando guide.
There’s also plenty of stuff to do in Orlando outside of just the major theme parks. It’s a great destination for shopaholics, nature lovers and nightlife revellers. Take a day trip to one of the incredible beaches in Florida, or take some time out to visit the Everglades, an unforgettable trip into nature. Stay on International Drive to be near everything.
- The theme parks! Universal Orlando & Walt Disney World Orlando are something you just have to see
- ICON Orlando 360 – take in the views from atop the Ferris Wheel
- Kennedy Space Centre – educational & exciting, learn all about historic space expeditions and more
- SeaWorld Orlando – just a top destination and great for families, or big kids at heart!
Venture to the Big Apple for a taste of its hectic lifestyle – this really is the city that never sleeps. One of the world’s most famous cities, New York is chock-full of iconic sights. Most of our top recommended hotels are in or near Times Square: why not stay at the heart of the action? Then head to vast Central Park to walk among the well-tended greens.
Head to the top of the Empire State Building or the Top of the Rock Observation Deck at 30 Rockefeller Plaza. Take the ferry to Staten Island, view Lady Liberty – and don’t forget to catch a Broadway show! Then enjoy the nightlife, the culture, the food, and just soak up the energy of the city.
- Take some time to reflect at Ground Zero
- Walk along Brooklyn Bridge
- Take a stroll along the High Line, once a railway and now converted into a beautiful urban garden and thoroughfare
- Shop on Fifth Avenue
- The New York Public Library – amazing architecture and atmosphere
A real bucket list destination! You have to see the dazzling lights of Las Vegas for yourself at least once in your lifetime. The Strip is just one those places in the world with a unique energy and atmosphere, walking along it is something you’ll never forget. We’d recommend one of the hotels near or on The Strip. That way you’ll always be near the action and the airport’s nearby, meaning less transfer time. And most of these hotels are famous attractions in their own right, from the Venetian to the MGM Grand.
And, venture beyond the bright lights to find natural beauty, amazing cuisine and shopping, a great nightlife and so much more. It’s not just about the slot machines, Vegas is also a surprisingly family-friendly city.
- Watch the Bellagio Fountains, a famous water show that visitors flock to for a good reason
- Take in the view atop the High Roller, it’s the world’s tallest observation wheel
- Go for a hike on Red Rock Canyon, stunning views just 20 minutes from The Strip
- Visit the Grand Canyon, it’s just a short trip away
This is one of the world’s most visited cities and it’s easy to see why. Not only is it home to the most photographed bridge in the world but it’s also a bustling hub of food, shopping, culture and history. Its steep streets are home to more sights than you fit into one trip.
See the iconic Golden Gate Bridge, take the ferry to Alcatraz and drive down criss-crossing Lombard Street. Take a ride in a cable car, it’s touristy but fun!
- Shop and eat your way around Pier 39
- Visit the sea lions in Fisherman’s Wharf
- Go to one of the great beaches outside the city like Fort Funston or Ocean Beach
- Relax in Golden Gate Park
The City of Angels and the home of Hollywood Glamour, Los Angeles is worth visiting for its iconic movie sights, its diverse neighbourhoods and its exciting blend of urban bustle with natural beauty. Where else can you explore busy city streets and go for a hike on the same day? Take a trip to see the Hollywood Sign and the Walk of Fame. Take in incredible views from the mountain top. Explore all of the city’s boroughs each with their unique character and charm.
See our full city guide for Los Angeles here on our blog!
- Enjoy an action-packed day at Six Flags Magic Mountain, Disneyland or Universal Studios
- Take in the spectacular vistas from the Griffith Observatory
- See top shopping districts like The Grove, Beverley Centre and Hollywood & Highland
- Visit amazing beaches like Santa Monica Beach and Venice Beach
The nation’s capital and home to some of the US’ most important landmarks. This is the city to visit for history buffs; see the White House and so much more. For shopping head to Georgetown where you’ll find a compelling mix of high end brands, chic boutiques, bargains and flea markets.
Most visitors want to see the major historical and political sights but make sure to visit the city’s other districts like Dupont Circle, Georgetown, West End, Penn Quarter and more.
- See the Washington Monument and Lincoln Memorial
- Visit the White House, Capitol and Supreme Court
- Step into history at Ford’s Theatre where Lincoln was assassinated
Boston is the capital of Massachusetts and the jewel of beautiful New England. It’s both a modern city full of nightlife and culture, and an enthralling base to explore the historical significance and natural beauty of the surrounding area.
This is a storied city where you can explore America’s origins, from the Walk of Freedom to following the trail of the Minute Man. Visit its museums and top destinations like Faneuil Hall and its bustling marketplace. Shop till you drop on Newbury Street or in one of the city’s massive outlet malls where you can grab some serious bargains. Visit the charming historic town of Plymouth and venture down stunning Cape Cod.
- Boston Common, an oasis of green among the skyscrapers of busy Downtown
- The Greenway – this walkways winds its way through the city and along the waterfront
- The John F. Kennedy Presidential Library is a top sight to learn all about the iconic man
- Quincy Market – these historic buildings have been modernised with fun shopping and a packed menu of food options
The sunny shores of Miami are calling! This enchanting city is chic, cosmopolitan and cool. Here, you’ll find America’s 3rd highest skyline, epic scenery and sandy beaches.
Miami boasts beaches, amazing weather, culture, art, entertainments, sports and so much more. Its districts all offer something unique. Downtown Miami is a metropolitan area full of sights and culture. Little Havana is an endlessly charming blend of cultural influences and across the bay Miami Beach has its famous Art Deco District, beachfront boulevards and entertainement.
- Chill on Miami Beach and South Beach
- Go shopping in Bayside Marketplace, packed with tourist shops, cafes, restaurants and more
- Take a boat tour around Biscayne Bay
- Venture outside the city to Everglades National Park, known for its striking ecosystem and wildlife
- Explore the Cuban district, Little Havana and its main street called Calle Ocho
A metropolis on the shores of Lake Michigan, Chicago offers everything from shopping, cuisine, nature, sport and more. And it’s a surprisingly good beach destination too – there are 26 sandy beaches to visit here from busy Montrose Beach to chilled-out 63rd Beach.
Chicago’s one of those cities you can really make your own, whether you want to see the sights, soak up the culture or party. Kick back with a boat tour through Chicago River or Lake Michigan, the best way to see the sights. Chicago’s home to its very own Broadway where you can catch a show, and while you’re here visit one of its famous comedy clubs.
- Millennium Park campus is a must, especially for first-time visitors – take a picture by the reflective surface of Cloud Gate, aka The Bean.
- For thrill seekers and daredevils, venture to the 104th floor of the Willis Tower – The Ledge at Skydeck is a glass box extended out beyond the walls of the building. Not for the faint of heart. For more views, try TILT at 360 Chicago at the former John Hancock Centre.
- Soak up the great outdoors and take a waterfront stroll along the Lakefront Trail
- Explore the picturesque Lurie Gardens, take a tour, meet the animals or simply wander your way around
Thinking of travelling to the US? Check out our unmissable offers on American holidays right here on our site.
This blog is powered by Cassidy Travel, one of Ireland’s leading travel agencies. Our team of over 100 expert travel advisors send 1000s of Irish holidaymakers around the world every year. And we love doing it! Visit our website to start planning your next getaway. If you’re Dublin-based, drop into one of our stores. With 33 years of experience we’ve mastered the art of easy booking. Whether it’s a city escape, US adventure or family holiday we’d love to help you plan, book and dream.